Cities and Buildings RSS



Chishawasha Mission Church of St. Ignatius Loyola

This historic Church was constructed in 1901 - 1902 by the resident Brothers using locally fired bricks and lime quarried and burnt in a kiln on the hill behind the seminary. Most of the Church remains original, including the naturalistic paintings above the apse. The stencil paintings on the brick arches originally painted by Father Emil Schultz became water damaged and have been re-painted. The Dominican Novitiate retains many of its original 1910 finishes. Over the years, the Jesuits have developed schools in the Chishawasha Valley which today enjoy a high academic and cultural reputation. The six schools include St. Dominic's Girls High School, St. Ignatius Primary School, St. Peter's Claver Primary School, St. Peter's Claver Secondary School, St. Joseph Primary...

Continue reading



Harare’s Historic buildings - The Avenues

Cecil House (1901) 2 Central Avenue / 2nd Street (A1) Architect: Gibson and Cator, Client: De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd Builder: Unknown Cecil House is built of brick with a fine plaster covering called stucco on massive granite block footings. The building is dominated by the massive front gable that features scrollwork and pinnacles. The original ironwork columns were from MacFarlane’s of Glasgow and have been replaced where necessary. De Beers bought stand 1008 in 1901 for £500 and the building was completed in 1901. Although De Beers only used it for a short period before leasing the building to the BSA Company from June 1893. Two of the offices were used by Sir Marshall Clarke, the Resident Commissioner (at the...

Continue reading



Mbare township

Did you know that Mbare was the first high-density suburb (township), being established in 1907. At that time, it was located near the city cemetery, sewage works, and abattoir. It was originally called Harare Township, a name later on used for the capital city itself. Harare is a corruption of Havarari, meaning 'They never sleep’ and this was the name given to the Zezuru Chief of this northeastern part of Zimbabwe, Chief Harava, who resided near the Kopje area. Mbare (formerly Harare) started to expand in about 1907 when the white settlers built a town called Salisbury, and thus created an influx of people coming from Mozambique, Zambia, and Malawi looking for employment. The phenomenon gave rise to urban development,...

Continue reading



Chitungwiza

Chitungwiza also popularly known as Chi-Town is located approximately 30 kilometres south-east of the Harare city centre. It was formed in 1978 from three townships: Seke, Zengeza, and St Marys. From early 2000s another township named Manyame Park (New St Marys) was established making them four then in the mid 2000s another township named Rockview was also formed to make it 5 main townships. St Mary's is popularly known for being the oldest suburb in Chitungwiza. Its most distinguished historical figure is the svikiro Pasipamire (spirit medium) who channelled the spirit of Chaminuka. The name Chitungwiza is derived from *Dungwiza ra Chaminuka*(an impenetrable growth of thorny bushes) which was the shrine used by Pasipamire who was a svikiro (spirit medium)...

Continue reading



Mutare

#VisitZimbabwe Mutare Mutare (previously known as Umtali) is Zimbabwe's fourth largest city and is the provincial capital of Manicaland Province. Often called "the Gateway to the Eastern Highlands", the locals also refer to it as Kumakomoyo “place of many mountains” as it is located within a bowl-like valley south of the Imbeza Valley and north of the Bvumba Mountains which divide Zimbabwe and Mozambique. The Mozambican border is just eight kilometres away and Mutare has always been considered the country’s gateway to the sea with the Beira Corridor linking Zimbabwe to the Mozambican port of Beira, only 290km away. Historically the town connects Beira with Harare and Bulawayo via the railway network. The origins of the word Mutare it is...

Continue reading